Monday, February 11, 2019

Thing 5: Audio Tools

I have been doing audio book reviews with 8th graders for years, but this thing inspired me to take that to the next level.  I always called them "podcasts", but they really weren't because it was never gathered to be presented that way.  I have previously been sharing them through QR Codes on books, which was effective, but limited access to physical presence in the library.  Through this "thing" I explored Anchor, and have so far published three episodes of our "LG Reads" podcast.  This allows me to share the student reviews through our library social media, as well as providing access on the books through QR Codes. 

While working through this process I also explored the tools Beautiful Audio Editor (Chrome Extension) and Clyp: https://clyp.it/ , which I may use in the future instead of Audacity. I was able to provide them as options for seniors doing interactive exhibits this month, however none of the students opted to try them, instead using QuickTime to create screencasts. One of my frustrations with audio is that we can't embed it into Google Slides, which would increase the ease of access and sharing to a broader audience.
As I explore tools for creation of audio, and ideas for sharing/ presenting audio, I have also made it a point to explore quality audio content by subscribing to a few Podcasts myself. I have been enjoying "So We've Been Thinking" and "Hey YA", although the challenge continues to be finding time to enjoy this media type, as it isn't my "go-to" in the way that blogs and visual content would be.

1 comment:

  1. Your students did a terrific job, so impressed. And just put a hold on both books. Thank the students for me. :) Like you, I'll never have time to listen to all the podcasts I've subscribed to. But I do listen a lot, usually when I'm cooking dinner. Great post.

    ReplyDelete