Friday, August 23, 2013

Thing 4: Mapping and Geolocation Tools

So, this topic has taken a whole different path than I expected, and has led me to try soooo many new tools!  I decided to create a QR code scavenger hunt based on The Daring Librarian's.  I would love to do something with Geocaching, but I haven't found something relevant yet, so I will try to come back to that later in the year.

This has been a project that led me to many mini projects.  Some of the new tools I have used are:


goanimate: Avatar creation
Toondo: Avatar creation
Photoshop- Layering pictures
Flickr- Created an account for the first time!
Blabberize- pulled things I had already created
Smore- Created quick poster
Jing- Another round Screencasting with this tool
Handbrake- File conversion (Jing creates Flash)
YouTube- First time uploading here!
Voki- Past project pulled in
bit.ly- Creates shorter URL links and QR Codes

I created a Google Doc based on Gwyneth Jones' scavenger hunt, and have been gathering all of the clues, which I am now working on creating QR codes for.  It is still a work in progress, but I have had a lot of fun with it.

I am excited about this as a way to introduce the use of iPads in the library also.  (I am getting 8 iPads for students to use in the library this year.)  Now I just need to work with a teacher to schedule some classes to come in.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    You have done a lot with QR codes this past year and I am wording if you felt they had a place in the elementary school at all?

    Nice job on your projects!

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA!! How did you manage to pack that many tools in? :) Great project idea you came up with. Love it.

    ReplyDelete