Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Positively Productive: Thing 21

There were so many great tools to explore in this first thing that I have spent way more time on it than I expected.  There have been both personal tools discovered, and tools that I can see using with my students.
The tool which I am most excited about using personally is Workflowy. I am a big fan of list making, but now that I live mostly in a digital world I struggle between where my lists are and where I am working.  Although I wish they had a mobile app to make it totally available I can see myself using this consistently to stay organized.  I have created three list categories to start with (Work, Personal, and Church).  I have already been using and loving the work category.  Personal would be more accessible if there was a mobile app, because I would use it "on the go", but I can still use it for project management in my life.  I am excited to start using the collaboration aspect with our Curriculum Team as we plan professional development.
I also explored the Buffer App and One Tab for my own organization, but they did not seem as appropriate for my needs.  With One Tab I didn't like the way the tabs collapsed into a list- what I would have loved would be to collapse them into "Sub-Tabs), although I understand that probably wouldn't have the same impact on computer space saving.  The Buffer App made me feel guilty that I don't have more social media posts lined up to share!
The tools which I am planning to implement with classes are Scrible and EverNote.  I have explored EverNote several times in the past for my own organizational needs, and it just has never clicked and felt natural, but I see real potential for it in two places within curriculum.  The first is as a portfolio for seniors, which is a concept that I have been discussing with our Advanced Government teacher, and which I would love to see used across curriculum areas.  The other teacher I would like to use this with is our 7th grade math teacher, who would like to create an interactive math lab notebook.  I think a lot of the functionality, and flexibility of what you can gather within EverNote will be useful for each of these purposes.
I am really excited about using Scrible with our 10th grade English teacher, who does a lot of close reading and annotating activities with students and has been looking for a versatile and flexible tool to use for these activities.  Scrible could ultimately be useful for any students doing extended research.  The functionality of these tools are so practical that I can really anticipate sharing them with many teachers, and will most likely share them at our next professional development.

2 comments:

  1. I've also looked into a number of digital organization things. I really like "Todoist" - syncs with mail, calendar & has an app. Basic is free - can cost but don't need it. I have an Evernote account that I need to use more - people who really take advantage of it love it! Going to look into Scrible. Looking forward to your next "Thing" post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for using evernote. Look forward to hearing how those projects work out. It definitely has a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it!

    ReplyDelete