Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Thing 15: Breakout

I have had a lot of fun and very successful lessons and events using our Breakout boxes and supplies, but I am always looking to expand my resources for these.  While I have created several games, including a Hamilton themed one and Library Orientation, and will continue to do so, this can be very time consuming.  I appreciate pre-made games and resources, and I have found them more difficult to locate, as BreakoutEdu now has a subscription fee for their games.  I often start with a pre-made game or resources and then modify it to fit my students' needs as well as our time and resource constraints.  We had a great Harry Potter Escape room this year built on Breakout supplies, and I want to start the year with a library program like this.  I found an "Escape the Library" game in the resources shared, and am going to use this as a base.  I am excited about the potential to engage students right away and encourage them to explore the library as they solve the clues.  To maximize this potential I will modify the clues in this game to fit our space and incorporate both literature and MakerSpace materials. 
I am also planning to use a BreakOut game to launch the content of Sustainable Development Goals to our Research Seminar students next year.  I want to better utilize BreakOut games to both start instructional units and tie together content concepts, as well as build engaging programs outside of the classroom.  If I plan ahead and build these games before the busyness of the school year hits I am hoping to be more consistent.
I will also use these opportunities to highlight their potential, so that teachers better utilize them for instructional purposes.  In fact, I want to connect with specific teachers to encourage their use. 


1 comment: