Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Thing 22: Teaching with Primary Sources

The timing for this topic was perfect, as I was preparing for our final 8th grade English book project.  Each month students select an independent read, and then do a project, developing communication and creation skills throughout the year.  Our final project each year is focused on Historical Fiction and adds an inquiry element designed to prompt students to explore a time period through multiple perspectives.  Based on their book selection they write a research question to drive their exploration of primary sources.  This year I expanded their options for research based on the resources I found through Cool Tools.  The document sets available, particularly through the Digital Public library and the Library of Congress, helped some students narrow their focus, so these collections didn't feel so overwhelming. 
I really like the potential of Eagle Eye Citizen, and can see this being used by our Social Studies 7 teacher who presents her students with a primary document each week connected to their learning objectives.  I created a challenge related to amendments to experiment with the creation and usage, and think it would have a smooth application. 
To encourage teacher use of primary sources I used Wakelet to curate a collection, which I then incorporated into a Destiny Collection to share out with our social studies teachers.  Because of the push to use primary sources in evidence base writing I knew this would be a good place to share.  Now that it is created I can easily modify and re-share when it will be pertinent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment