Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Thing 23: AASL Standards

I have been working throughout the year to incorporate the AASL Standards into our library program, and the tools and resources provided through "Thing 23" were very helpful.  I started my integration of the new AASL standards by diving into their meaning and looking at how I incorporate them into instruction and library programs.  I used small post-it notes to color code what I am doing where, and then identify where I have gaps.  I have been working this year to better address the "Grow" domain, which works well with our Districts goal to focus on Diversity and Leadership as well.  Through this work I have utilized the UN's Sustainable Development Goals to broaden student perspective and provide authentic Global experiences and opportunities to engage as Global Citizens.  I really like the resources I found on the "Tech Tools - AASL Standards for the Learner (PETE&C 2018)" document that addressed these goals.  In particular I would like to incorporate the SDGs in Action App next year with the seniors to implement action steps more effectively. 
I also focused on developing my assessments to better reflect the objectives and vocabulary of the standards.  Some of the areas that I have developed are my book project grading criteria, as seen in this example, and my long term research rubrics.  I have also been working toward my ISTE Certification this season, and am working to incorporate those standards as well, as you can see reflected in this Research Seminar Rubric.
Finally, I wanted to bring together the AASL Standards and our Districts Innovation Standards (based on ISTE Standards) under the Inquiry model that we utilize at Lake George, WISER, to have a crosswalk for myself to see how I can consolidate some of this work to maximize the impact I can have through our library.  That work is gathered here in our WISER Crosswalk with Standards.
My next steps will be in rolling out a more consistent approach to addressing these Standards at those grade levels where I spend less time.  Over the summer I will be developing my strategy of where to make these in roads to better build student experience. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great work! Great idea with the postit notes, great visual aid.

    ReplyDelete